DJS Poetry Translation Award & Grant
”DJS Poetry Translation Award” has been established in 2010 by DJS Art Foundation, a small private entity, to promote literary exchange between Chinese and other languages and to encourage quality translation of poetry. Amount of the award each year: $1000. Amount of the grant each year: $1000. Recipient(s) announced on December 30. (Earlier deadline for 2016 submissions: September 1.)
In 2016, DJS Translation Award shifts the focus back to promoting Chinese poetry and will be awarded to a translator or a team of translators who has/have demonstrated exceptional skills in translating a book of contemporary Chinese poems into another language. (In recent years the awards were given to people who translated poetry into Chinese.) This current focus will continue for three years.
1. Applications from the translators and/or recommendations by other people are both accepted. Applications from publishers will be accepted in 2016 (to supplement the publication cost for a book of 150+ pages.)
2. Please send a complete manuscript of 50 or more poems translated in recent two years (including Table of Contents) along with the originals to: email@example.com (please include info about the publisher and scheduled publication date)
3. If in collaboration with another translator, 100 or more poems are required. (The award will be distributed equally or presented to the primary translator.)
4. Single-author books or multiple-author anthologies are both eligible. Both should include poems from recent years.
5. Translation can be done directly from Chinese or through English. In either case, the original poems are required in the submissions as we look at the quality of the translation as well as the quality of the original poems. New in 2016: translation from “minority” ethnic languages will be considered too.
6. Translation projects supported by Chinese government agencies such as the Writers Association will not be considered. We only support translation of independent poets.
7. New in 2016: books published within the year or to be published within a year will be considered if submitted before the deadline.
8. Submissions will be judged by DJS board members along with invited poetry translators. DJS board reserves the right of interpretation of the guidelines and procedures.
Sept 1, 2016 (earlier deadline for 2016)
* DJS also administers (separately) DJS Award for Poetry and DJS Award for Criticism regardless of languages/countries. Deadline is the same as the translation prize. Please send recommendations to the same email address as the Poetry East West (Awards) submission box: firstname.lastname@example.org .
2. 请将近两年原创诗歌翻译50首以上的完整书稿（包括目录）连同原文一起寄至： email@example.com (请提供出版社信息和预计的出版日期）
P.S. We have received several inquires and here are our responses:
- Yes we would consider work by poets from Taiwan and overseas countries. “Chinese” means Chinese language more than citizenship. We are also very interested in the “minority languages” in China being translated into English or other languages.
- DJS is established in the US. We don’t compete with the Chinese government, nor do we want to double support government favored writers and poets. From 2016 onward, we will try to promote independent writers, dissident voices from within the system, and “minority” writers.
- “DJS Grant” is available to people who need the support; “DJS Award” will be given to the translation of outstanding quality. They are from the same source, so we combine the two processes to save time but the criteria are different.